After the Harmonists
LabyrinthThe present day Labyrinth, located on Rt. 69 south side of town, was reconstructed between 1939-41 on the site adjacent to the original Labyrinth. It is planted in accordance with a Harmony Society plan in concentric circles of privet hedge leading to a stone temple in the center.
The Harmonists planted labyrinths at each of their three settlements (Harmonie and Old Economy in Pennsylvania and Neu Harmonie in Indiana.) The original Labyrinth in New Harmony was made of bushes, vines and flowering plants and designed as a place of contemplation and meditation for the Harmonists. The route through the maze was not an easy one. For the Harmonists it symbolized the difficult path of life to reach true harmony and perfection. In the center of the Labyrinth was a circular rough log house with a "blind door" opening to an elegant and peaceful interior. When the Harmonists sold the town in 1825 and returned to Pennsylvania, the Labyrinth fell into disrepair and eventually ceased to exist.
The site is open admission-free year round. It is one of the properties of New Harmony State Historic Site.
Return to Top of Page